Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

OC Weekly's "Best of OC"


Following hot on the heels of the OC Register's "Best of OC" publication, comes the OC Weekly's "Best of OC" issue. It appears that at least in the Mexican food category the OC Weekly "Best of OC" voters know a little more about the Mexican restaurants that are out there than do the aggregate of Register "Best of OC" voters. Speaking from my vantage point of having been to over 100 Mexican restaurants in the county and counting I know how to go to the places each paper mentions and get good food, but I think the Weekly's winners this time around will point readers who are looking for a new, quality Mexican food experience in a better direction overall. Follow the link to see who the Weekly's readers voted for in the Best Mexican Restaurant category. Actually the first place mentioned is writer's choice and the other place is reader's choice. I say they are both good choices. Thanks to loyal reader Chaz for the heads up.

And over at Monster Munching, Elmo Monster admits to having had a hand in selecting some of the winners mentioned in this issue.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

as I said below, this is what I was waiting for. thoroughly enjoyed this year's issue and, of course, couldn't WAIT to read the food sections in detail. (I saved 'em for last though to delay the gratification he he).

ChristianZ said...

Smooth move saving the best for last. This reminds me that I'll be having my own "Best Of OC Mex Restaurants" list in a while. All input is welcome. It'll have categories like: Best Tacos, Best Horchata, Best Decor, Best Flan, etc.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness! I had lost all hope when I saw the Best of OC article from the Register. Across the board in every category it was riddled with the national food chains at the top. So sad!

Melissa said...

I think los cotijas #2 has the best fish tacos - and I only found them because of gustavo and EG. but I agreed with their assessment. they're actually about a minute from my house and I never knew. :)

ChristianZ said...

I wrote to Edwin and asked if he had picked Gabbi's for the Weekly's Best of issue or if it was Gustavo. He wrote back and said, "It was Gustavo that picked them but if I had been in charge of picking for that category I would've picked Gabbi's too."

I still have to get myself to Los Cotijas to try their fish tacos.

elmomonster said...

You totally have to go to Los Cotijas! And the issue did turn out well didn't it!? I had exactly 29 entries in the two food sections. But that's a fraction of what the OC Weekly staff put in. They amaze me.

ChristianZ said...

so, because of this discussion we've been having here I got off work and went to Los Cotijas for the first time. I was in a rush so I didn't analyze the food too much but, yes, the fish taco was pretty good.

Melissa said...

aw damn - I was going to tell you to make sure you went at a really busy time. was it? cause that's when they're really good. the first time I had them there they were "meh" but I went back during a rush and they were great. I'm hoping that was the case with your "meh"... ;)

ChristianZ said...

I know what you're saying. I don't like to write off a place forever because of one "meh" experience. My experience was a little better than "meh" but you guessed right: I went at a very slow time and right as I was finishing up my food the crowd showed up. It's like when I tell people to go to Taco Rosa I say, "You've got to go for a late lunch or an early dinner and don't order tacos or burritos. But if you do order tacos or burritos then don't base your opinion of the whole place on them. Not saying they're bad, just that they won't really give a correct idea of everything they have to offer." So, yeah, I can understand quirky, irrational atmospheric conditions affecting the quality of food at a restaurant. I still want to go back to Los Cotijas and get a couple more pictures.