Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Monday, March 05, 2007

Roundup #10

Time for another "roundup" entry where I post info that doesn't fit neatly into a proper restaurant review.

Mexican Restaurants

Mexican restaurants I have already reviewed and have visited since the last roundup entry for non-review purposes include: Tortilla Jo's Taqueria (the walkup window at Tortilla Jo's at Downtown Disney, Charo Chicken, Taco Rosa, El Pollo Loco (which is bringing back their black beans today), Taleo (look for an entry featuring some of their new menu items soon), Normita's Surf City Tacos, Baja Sharkeez, Blue Agave (although I might do a photo post of this particular visit), and Taco Mesa in Ladera Ranch.

Mexican restaurants I haven't reviewed yet (but will review sometime) that I've visited for non-review purposes (just old-fashioned eating) since the last roundup entry include: Super Antojitos and Wahoo's (yes, the Wahoo's Non-Review Curse has struck again).

Baja Sharkeez - Maui Chicken Tacos
Maui Chicken Tacos from Baja Sharkeez


Normita's Surf City Tacos
Normita's Surf City Tacos

Non-Mexican Restaurants

Non-Mexican restaurants I've eaten at since the last roundup entry include: Bengal Barbecue, Pacific Whey Cafe, 50 Forks (where, according to Gustavo Arrelano, you can dine like you're in Newport Beach but at Santa Ana prices), Kabuki, Gyro King, and Daily Grill (American comfort food at its most robust). Also recently joined Kirk from mmm-yoso, Deb from Dinner at Six, "ChubbyPanda" from Epicurious Wanderer, "ElmoMonster" from Monster Munching, "Wandering Chopsticks" (read her report), Joy, and Elonweis from OC Food Blogs for dim sum at Dragon Phoenix Palace in Westminster:

Dragon Phoenix

Here's my King Crab Rolls and ice cream from Kabuki:

Kabuki - King Crab Rolls


Ice Cream at Kabuki

And I've done some home cooking recently, too, including this blackberry meringue from some Sunset cookbook:

Blackberry Meringue

6 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Christian - I enjoyed meeting you, and had a great time!

ChristianZ said...

Great meeting you too, Kirk. Let us know when you're coming up this way again.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oooh, that blackberry meringue looks scrumptious!

ChristianZ said...

Yes, it tasted as good as it looks. Forgot the mint sprig but I'll be making it again.

Anonymous said...

Christian,
I'm looking forward to trying many of these places. This may be a bit off topic, but one thing that I've noticed about mexican restaurants is that the quality of the food is almost always directly proportional to how good the salsa is before even being served the meal. For me, it never fails that the chips and salsa are a good indicator for what is to come. Do you agree, or am I off base here?

ChristianZ said...

babbydaddy, Thanks for reading. Hopefully my site is informative. If you go to any place I've covered try also to leave comments on that particular review. You bring up a good point about the salsa, and it's certainly not an off-topic point. I can't think about every place right now but you made me think of one where the salsa was almost flavorless and when I got the tacos they were strangely flavorless as well.