Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Quisp!

Recently ordered a couple boxes of Quisp, a cereal introduced in the 1960's by Quaker Oats. I would've ordered a Quisp t-shirt at the same time but they were out of stock when I placed my cereal order. The cereal's mascot is a quirky little pink alien with a green outfit and beanie-like propellor sticking out of his head. The cereal was discontinued sometime in the early to mid 1970's but was reintroduced a few years back as the only cereal you can only get over the Internet (there is a very small handful of supermarkets in the mid-West that sell it). Apart from the fact that each piece of cereal is shaped like a flying saucer (i.e., an indented disc) it is exactly like Cap'n Crunch but somehow it tastes better when it comes out of a Quisp box. The back of the box features Part 1 of a Spumco cartoon created by John Krisfaluci, the guy who gave us Ren and Stimpy. Part 2 is on the Quisp website.

Quisp Box Front

Quisp Box Back

Now what connection does this have to Mexican food? Not much except that the commercials for them were animated in Mexico by the same studio that animated the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

Official Site

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet. Too young to have eaten them growing up, I think I'd vaguely heard of this stuff before.

But this makes them sound pretty awesome : ) I think I'm definitely going to have to purchase some if, as a colleague of mine at SqueezeOC attested, its just like Cap'n Crunch except that it doesn't jack up your gums.

That was always my main gripe w/ the stuff... eating captain crunch was a pleasurably painful experience. Of course, Quisps don't have crunchberries, so there be tradeoffs all around.

ChristianZ said...

You're absolutely right about the shape of Quisp being more gum-friendly than Cap'n Crunch and I was going to mention that in the main body of my entry. Good call.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Quisp's (almost) twin cereal Quake (same taste different shape)---Some ads of the day had them together in the same ad

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today through a link on Elmo's page. Why is the food we grew up with so nostalgic? I'm cracking up at this Quisp page. I loved that cereal as a kid, and had heard it's available online now.

I'm enjoying reading through your reviews and having a lot of memories too. Keep up the good work.

ChristianZ said...

Thanks for all the comments you have left, Blossom. You need to order some Quisp!

Anonymous said...

Quisp used to be available in a bulk bagged version which went under a different name. Sadly, I haven't seen it in a long time, and I forget what it was called, but it was the only way I could find Quisp out here in the LA area. Nice photos of the box, thanks. I'll have to order some soon. :)

D.B. Echo said...

Heh. I bought a box in October 2010 with exactly the same cartoon on the back. Now I'm a little concerned.

ChristianZ said...

I would guess it had a much newer batch of cereal in it. But it's cool that you got some.