Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Roundup #4

Met up Tuesday night with Joy, Elmo (of the Monster Munching blog), and Omar (from SqueezeOC's "OC in the OC" blog), at the Black Sheep Bistro in Old Towne Tustin for some Mediterranean food. Our waiter was from Mexico City so I asked him what Mexican restaurants he likes and he mentioned Super Antojitos, Taco Rosa, El Gallo Giro, and Zocalo's.

Black Sheep Bistro Dinner

Black Sheep Bistro Dessert


The dessert was a passionfruit sorbet wrapped in a layer of soft white chocolate, then wrapped in a layer of hardened white chocolate, then set to float in a pool of white chocolate sauce; the berries were added upon request.

Omar's Black Sheep Report

Mexican places I'm trying to get to soon: Just found out about a new place in Costa Mesa I am going to try to get to on Saturday for lunch; been invited to La Capilla in Huntington Beach for dinner on Friday; need to go to the two places our Black Sheep waiter mentioned that I haven't been to yet. Also have to try Kantina that was mentioned in the previous post. And many, many other places I can't begin to list but are all floating around in my brain waiting to be reviewed. There is also another guest review by James coming soon.

Some non-Mexican restaurants I've been to lately include: Kabuki, King's Hawaiian, California Fish Grill, Daphne's Greek Cafe, pho bac ky, and the Crab Cooker.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the server was really well-versed in OC Mexican food places, and couple with my lack of knowledge of such places, I couldn't really keep track of them all (or any, other than Zocalo's).

I think the dessert was the best part; they all looked quite good. And the coffee, though a bit late in the day, went well with the dessert.

ChristianZ said...

Yeah, I have a hard time just keeping track in my brain of all the Mexican places I need to go to. And, yes, the dessert was really good.

Anonymous said...

My favorite parts of the tapas plate were the paella croquette (at about 2:00 on the plate in the picture) and the gnocchi (at about 7:00). There was also a strip of meat that was really good, I think it was duck (shown at about 9:00). The allioli (Spanish aioli) was good, but I was thrown off by the cilantro sauce and the salmon. Oh, and I liked the sausage, too.

The food was good, although it could have been a little warmer. I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping for garlic shrimp and patatas bravas and mushrooms in garlic and tortilla espanola -- all those classic Spanish tapas.