Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mexican Desserts

OC Weekly's Gustavo Arellano has enlightened Orange County once again, this time with a list of his 34 favorite dessert spots around town. The desserts featured are all of different ethnicities, several of which are Mexican. Look for Taleo, Taco Rosa, and Anita's on the list, and more. Just reading about those popsicles at La Nueva Reyna de Michoacán gets my mouth watering.


Chaz Lamrusco said...

Gustavo has a great list here. I will
vouch for the pancakes at Ono Ono.

I would like to humbly add a number
35 to the list:

Grilled Peaches (in season only) at
Walt's Wharf

I had this a month ago, and it was
one of the best desserts I've had
in a long time. The peach halves
are grilled in a vanilla vinegrette
sauce, then topped with vanilla ice
cream. It is a treat!

Oh yeah - while you are there, try
the grilled artichokes.

Walt's Wharf Restaurant 201 Main Street, Seal Beach, CA 90740

ChristianZ said...

Thanks, Chaz. Any luck with Gabbi's yet?

Chaz Lamrusco said...

Maybe we will go to Gabbi's on

ChristianZ said...

I hope they are open then. They should be.

the serrach said...

yeah, they are def. open on saturday night but be prepared for wait. it's actually a very small place... i counted 14 tables.. and it's apparently THE place in orange right now. while you're waiting.. the house margarita is quite delish.

Chaz Lamrusco said...

I drove by last night and spotted it. Just south of Muff's Antiques. Much easier to spot when its open. Probably will go Saturday afternoon.

ChristianZ said...

Hopefully it lives up to your expectations and my recommendations after all your aborted attempts to try them out before.

Chaz Lamrusco said...

I nominate #36

This one is a good value for the
money. Claim Jumper has their
"Small Bites" section in their
dessert menu, and I found a good

English Toffee Pudding $2.95

A Rich Brown Sugar Pudding with Black Currants and Molasses, Warmed with a Toffee Caramel Topping and served with vanilla ice cream & whipped cream

Their description does not do it justice. When I ordered it, I
thought it was like a custard. Its
not. I think they mean Pudding in
the British sense. It is a small
cake about 2 inches in diameter and
about 1/2 inch high. It is drenched
in the English toffee sauce. The
flavor is tremendous. As advertised,
it is a small dessert for my sweet tooth. If you need a bigger dessert, they always have their
Motherload cakes, eclairs, mud pies etc up around $6.95 or more.