The Orange County Register recently printed a recipe for a clone of El Pollo Loco's Chicken Tortilla Soup. I don't know how long the article will be accessible online so here's the recipe:
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Yield: 6-8 servings
- ½ cup instant rice
- 4 cups water and 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies with liquid
- 1 15 oz. can black beans with liquid
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
- Toppings: blend of shredded Mexican-style cheeses (found in sealed bags in most supermarkets), roughly crumbled tortilla chips, chopped green onion, sour cream
- Place all ingredients (except toppings) in 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil on high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20-30 minutes. Ladle into bowls and add toppings as desired.
If anybody tries this recipe before I do let us know how close it really is to El Pollo Loco's version. UPDATE: I should add that a lot of people keep searching the Internet for "El Pollo Loco Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe" so it must be popular.